A Better Version of Me
Monday, March 27, 2006
 
Hard Up For Some Good Hip-Hop?
Check out DJ Premier's discography. I did and I discovered a treasure-trove of excellent tracks produced by this Gang Starr legend that I had been overlooking for all these years. I've been a Gang Starr fan for several years but I'd never bothered to check out Premier's other work. Well, I guess it's better late than never. Now I have several 'new to me' songs to enjoy. I've had much better luck reusing and recycling some old hip-hop than trying to listen to the new stuff that comes out these days.

Here are some of my favorite DJ Premier collaborations to which I've been bobbin' my head lately:

"Mathematics" by Mos Def
Anything on Jeru The Damaja's first two albums ("The Sun Rises in the East" and "The Wrath of the Math")
"Unbelievable" by The Notorious B.I.G. (I've enjoyed that song for years, but never realized Premier was behind it)

I also came across "Ms. Fat Booty", by Mos Def, while looking for "Mathematics." It's not a Premier song, but it's good anyhow. Nothing else on Mos Def's "Black on Both Sides" album grabs me like those two tracks do.

So, those are my suggestions. Check'em out and tell me whatcha think. Also, do you have a secret to hip-hop listening success? If so, let me in on it!

|

<< Home

Powered by Blogger Listed on BlogShares